Thursday, June 12, 2008

Alan Braxe gets a little more Lifelike

The last concert that I hit up this year - Cut Copy and Simian Mobile Disco @ Mezzanine - was awesome on so many levels.. there was, of course, the music: both of those groups put out some of my favorite albums in recent memory. But the show really stands out in my mind because it was the first concert that I've gone to in a while where the people that I went with were waaay into the band (i.e. not just me).. bubbling with enthusiasm pre-show (having a drink or two - or, um, four or more, at my place), and ready to rock out - let's also say, ready to "get dancey" - from the start.

You see, I like to see a lot of live music and, therefore, I'm usually, *ahem*, dragging a friend to some random event featuring Frenchhouse-this or indierockfeedback-that, dj's and/or bands that they've never heard of.. so they need to get over the hump of discovery (no matter how much they may trust my judgment) before they get to the hands-in-the-airing (or, depending on the scene, the involuntary-air-guitar) part of the night.

Don't get me wrong: that sort of thing is totally cool with me; I love introducing people to new music - in general, via conversation or CD or whatever.. but especially when it's live. And, so, I'm *still* going to be calling up my friends periodically to try to entice them with tickets to some hipster shizz..

But all that said.. when everyone is into the music and excited for the aural/experiential possibilities from the get-go, it can make for a pretty fun night. In fact, this Friday - THIS FRIDAY - I'm gearing up for another night of rocking out at Mezzanine.

Did you hear?

Producer/remixer extraordinaire, Alan Braxe, is dj'ing at Mezzanine! Yes, Monsieur Braxe is a giant of French house and currently an "in-demand remixer"; but you may know him via the 1998 release, "Music Sounds Better With You" (video), which he and Thomas Bangalter (of Daft Punk fame) put out under the name "Stardust". And blog-badasses, Lifelike open! (Those Lifelike guys - I just became familiar with them myself - are some of the best new remixers out there right now, and have an aesthetic similar to some of Braxe's work; it'll be a perfect match.)

SO cool.
SO cool!

Even cooler that I'm again going with some friends that know-what-they're-in-for: the freshest in dancey music, mind-altering lights, and, um, gettin' sweaty in a packed house. What can I say?; it's my cup-of-tea. Note that doors open at 10pm, so you're guaranteed a late night.

If you're interested in such things, tickets are still available; this flier tells you how; and at $10+fees, they be cheap. Use the money you've saved to buy me a lovely gin cocktail at the show. ;) See you then!

No comments: