Saturday, May 26, 2007

Connections maybe not so tenuous after all

I wrote this little ditty a long time ago now, but, well, I still feel the same way. And it seems appropriate to post as I'm off on another journey:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I just recently saw Lost In Translation, and yes, I can identify with the characters, their life and times in a foreign place.. one which only underscored how tenuous many of their (your) relationships - even those that they (you) thought *should* and *needed* to be strongest - were. In fact, I can relate on very superficial levels, as I've been to Tokyo, traveled extensively through the US and Europe, many times alone - for work or otherwise. But beyond that, I've felt their disillusionment with my social support system: our husbands, wives, family, friends.

Sometimes it's not so hard to be alone on a perfectly nice day in San Francisco.

That said, I've also experienced the pleasure of unexpectedly connecting with a stranger - sometimes for only five minutes as they get you on the proper bus in Stockholm or Kyoto, or for whole days, nights, passing time in a dimly lit bar in Austin or Berlin - even if the spoken language between us isn't totally in sync. "Please", "thank you", and a sense of humor get you farther than you might think.

Closer to home, it's a revelation to wake up and know friends, family, matter; you have made connections maybe not so tenuous after all. Yes, sometimes the sun shines so hard (I love it), and I can hear the birds singing.. I hope not just to me. So listen hard and smile..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's always a pleasure, and I hope to cross paths again with you soon..

No comments: