Thursday, March 27, 2008

I'm a thirsty boy, you know?

You ever looking for a smooth-as-silk (and hot) kick-in-the-pants? Well, I can help you out (more than ever before) because, as of this past weekend, I've upgraded the coffee-making possibilities at my apartment. And my stable of caffeine-deprived Rodys have never been happier (or more polka-dotted, or delightfully puffy).

You see, a friend just returned from some fun in Milan and was kind enough - so kind; she's awesome! - to bring back a totally sweet stainless steel moka pot for me. It's straight-up Italian shizz, so shiny and in a shape so-lovely. Word.

And while I've used a couple of these gurgling devices over the past year or two at friends' places, this is *my* first - I hear you always remember your first - and I'm looking forward to giving it a go soon; this weekend.. at the latest, I swear. Yes, in fact, the gift included some fine coffee - the funkystuff is ORO, yo - so I'm good to go (and go and go). Still, I'd like to get my own coffee grinder in the not-too-distant future because the local beans here in the Bay Area are tops - or so that's the word on the street. ;)

Speaking of tasty drinks, I ordered up - and promptly downed - one of the best cocktails I've had in a long time this past Saturday, courtesy of Huckleberry Bar in Brooklyn. It was called a "Francois Hannibal d'Estrees" and was made with all manner of herbal infusions (alcohol-based, natch): Boodles Gin, Carpano Antica Formula, Yellow Chartreuse, and Lillet (Blanc?).

Yeah, it's quite an ingredient list, but somehow everything came together, and it was a good way to start the, um, inebriated part of the evening - at 11:30pm or so (hey, I only rolled into town at like 9:30pm and we were going until the latelate).

One (mean) drink, and dancing soon followed; I mean, disco-y beats were being played for Chrissake!.. real disco, even (and without a hint of irony)! What you gonna do in a situation like that? Oh, and if you don't immediately see the space for dancing, you can make space; Huckleberry Bar seems good like that.

By the way, the Francois Hannibal d'Estrees is just the tip of the iceberg with respect to the tasty cocktail selection at this place.. they've got an incredibly well-stocked bar, with madselect whiskeys and tequilas and more. In addition, the food menu looks pretty awesome; I'd go back just to try a few things off that, actually.. but, still, I'm not gonna say no to *something* to drink with the meal if I do end up back there again. I'm a thirsty boy, you know?

No comments: