Friday, March 14, 2008

Let me sweat all over your Beetroots

It had been a little while, but I got totally sweaty - (ahem) on the dancefloor, yo - tonight. And I like that sort of thing. Word is totally up!

You see, I made good on going to the first stop on my "aurally respectable" concert schedule and hit up Popscene (for the first time in years) to see The Bloody Beetroots throw down some ravey bangers. I was psyched that a friend took a chance on my music-blog-fueled taste - maybe she could see the stars in my eyes - when I said that "we should definitely see these guys".

And we did; we rocked it for a few hours, pumping-arms-in-the-air and all (when the time was well and good, and totally appropriate-for-the-moment, because that's how we do things). I mean, jeez, Big Stereo compared these guys to heavy hitters like MSTRKRFT and Steve Aoki, so how could you *not* bring that sort of party.

Somewhere in there I was also taught some new dance moves that I may-or-may-not have to do in the future.. but it's nice to know I'm prepared. Tinydance, anyone?

Whew. But yeah, 330 Ritch - the venue where they hold the long-running, so-fresh-music-bringing, 18+ allowing (drink *before* you come, ladies/gents!), Thursday night danceoff that is Popscene - was massively redone from last time I was there; they've opened up the side room a bit more, and added a second bar over that way. Still a great space, but that new stuff needs a little more "living in" to fit in with the rest of the place.

In any case, you're there for the music (or maybe you're there for the scene), and when it gets going and the bodies fill up the dancefloor, you're basically focused on one thing.. well, two things, if you find yourself mesmerized by the weird old videos they constantly play on the side wall.. ok, ok, maybe three things if you're also there to makeout with somebody. Wait, what was I saying? Oh yeah, you're there to dance. And, really, you're not going to let a little sweat stop you. Are you? haha.

All hail The Bloody Beetroots. They're not for everybody, but they should be.

No comments: