Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sparks occasions, few and far between

Wow.

I had a few friends in town a few weekends ago and, among many other things (some mundane, some decadent), I remember a brief conversation about the "black" Sparks, specifically, and how it compared to the other two varieties - the original "orange" and the diet "blue". In short, my friends were of the opinion that the black Sparks tasted the best of the lot, a designation that, in this case, is not only relative, but, really, not saying much. haha. At the time, I had never tried anything but the OG (i.e. orange), so I didn't have much to add besides, um, sparking the topic to begin with and asking some clarifying follow-up (not to mention some reminiscing about other past Sparks experiences).

Wait.. have you ever tried Sparks? Do you know what I'm talking about?

If not, Sparks was one of the first self-contained caffeinated alcohol beverages that broke though to mass market.. or, at least, to cult status. Wikipedia says a bit more here.

On a pure taste level, I am totally *not* a fan. haha. That said, I *am* a fan of uppers when I'm wanting to maintain a full night of rockin' out, and enjoy the theoretical underpinnings of doing so.. further, I'm glad somebody went out and took the essence of "Red Bull and vodka" - that's really the OG of this whole (legal) scene - and put it in a gaudy, and convenient-for-on-the-go, aluminum package. I just wish they didn't make it taste like s***. haha.

In any case, such nights are few and far between, but I've certainly had a few fueled by Sparks (especially when the aforementioned friends are in town).. I remember one distinctly where I was up for two days straight because I couldn't fall asleep, given the levels of caffeine consumed.. all.. night.. long. Yeah, that sort of thing can be good or bad, depending on who else is along for the ride, and your capacity for latelatelate night silliness; you take your chances. ;)

My most recent experience with the stuff was fairly recent, this past Thursday, in fact, before the Ghostland Observatory concert at Mezzanine. You see, I was a little bit early for meeting a friend out in front of the venue - I was the man with the tickets-in-hand - and decided to step into one of them lovely all-night convenience stores on 6th St. for some liquid refreshment to help me pass the time. I surveyed the refrigerated scene and, ultimately, I couldn't say no to the black battery pack that is "Sparks Plus", at 7% alcohol and "more caffeine".

I could use a little more pep, I said to myself.

And you know what?; it *was* better than the orange Sparks.. and still, it sucked. haha. I mean, I'm sure I'll indulge again in the future - I never say never - but it just tastes so artificial and sickly-sweet. I'd rather make my own vodka/gin mix with Red Bull, Amp or Vitamin Energy filling out a glass over ice; I'm a much bigger fan of those flavors. And that's not even getting to the already-opened-and-done-been-indulged-in bottle of Kubler absinthe I've got sitting in my "special" liquor cabinet; that's a whole 'nother experience right there..

Or, I don't know.. maybe next time I'm looking for that certain sort of hyped-up buzz, I'll try some "Cocaine" instead. You guys have any experience in that?

No comments: