Thursday, July 10, 2008

Let's all get down like the BBC!

Just found out yesterday that Sam Sparro is *finally* coming to San Francisco. He performs at The Independent on September 9th. He's not posted on The Independent's website just yet (or at Sam Sparro's myspace page, for that matter), but I'm guessing it's just a matter of time since..

Tickets go on sale this Sunday at 10am PST; get yourself some. Should be a great electro-soul show with mad sing-a-longs; for reals. haha.

In other (personal) music news, I looked up the True Pseudo guys who rock the first track ("Freakin Me Out") of the "12:02 Mix" from the After Midnight DJs.. just like I said I would. And all I got to say is that if they come to San Francisco, here, they gonna rock the house; and more tix I'll be a-buyin'. Yeah, I'm up for the challenge of convincing a friend to indulge in a(nother) random concert that I'm excited about (even as they have no clue what they're getting themselves into). ;)

For sure, my favorite True Pseudo tune is the aforementioned "Freakin Me Out" - I'm picturing the whole place blowin' up when that one drops on the dancefloor - but most of their tracks are pretty good (ex. "Eltone") and will keep butts shakin'; they have a good overall aesthetic (so I would trust their DJ selections too).

Finally, let me just mention that I've been playing the DJ Kicks mix from Erlend Øye (of Kings of Convenience and The Whitest Boy Alive fame) almost non-stop the past week. I mean, it was released in 2004, but, hey, you can't catch all the good music the first time around, right?; the CD surfaced in my life a few weeks ago when I was searching for all things Alan Braxe and Fred Falke. Check this tracklist:

1. So Weit Wie Noch Nie - Jürgen Paape
2. Sheltered Life / Fine Day (A Capella) - Erlend Øye
3. Drop (Kings of Convenience Remix) - Cornelius
4. If I Ever Feel Better - Phoenix
5. Radio Jolly / Prego Amore (A Capella) - Jollymusic
6. Rubicon - Alan Braxe & Fred Falke
7. 2D2F - Avenue D
8. I Need Your Love - The Rapture
9. Lattialla Taas / Venus (A Capella) (Bananarama cover) - Uusi Fantasia
10. 2 After 909 / Intergalactic Autobahn (A Capella) - Justus Köhncke
11. The Black Keys Work (DJ-Kicks) - Erlend Øye
12. Airraid - Jackmate
13. Poor Leno (Silicone Soul's Hypno House Dub) / There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (A Capella) (The Smiths cover) - Röyksopp
14. Metal Chix / Always on My Mind (A Capella) (Brenda Lee cover) - Skatebård
15. Dexter - Ricardo Villalobos
16. Winning A Battle, Losing The War - Minizza
17. Lullaby / A Place In My Heart (A Capella) - Morgan Geist

Part of the appeal is that Mr. Øye actually (re)records vocals for some of the songs he's mixing (ex. "I Need Your Love" or "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out"), blurring the line between straight DJ and more traditional musical performance. Cool stuff.

Ok, ok.. one more thing:

Speaking of albums I missed, have you heard "Sexuality" from Sébastien Tellier yet? I've basically been trading off the DJ Kicks album with this one the past week or so. It was released earlier this year (at the end of February); and it lives up to its suggestive name.. the music is dripping with sensuality and, well, sex. The music is richly-layered synthesizer pop that, um, comes in measured and languid waves - produced by none other than Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo (of Daft Punk) - overlaid with Mr. Tellier's smooth Gainsbourg-esque vocals.. perfect for lazing around in bed (or whatevering in bed). Track 5 ("Pomme") goes as far as using some female sounds of pleasure as a layer of subtle percussion - if I may be so bold as to identify the use as percussion at all - behind the up-front bouncy bass beat. Whew!

Yeah, check some of the tracks here (at The Yellow Stereo blog), or find a full album review at the BBC (who knew the BBC liked to get down?). Let's all get down like the BBC!

No comments: