Wednesday, July 30, 2008

All things licorice, and drink-worthy

I'm out of vodka!
Repeat: I'm out of vodka!

And this happens just when I bought some deliciously-red-colored Bloody Mary mix yesterday (I know, I know -- I should make my own "mix" from scratch, but I couldn't resist this "natural" version, in a bottle so shapely). Yeah, so now what am I gonna do wit'it?

Well, first, I should, um, clarify the situation.. I've started off with a bit of hyperbole (for dramatic effect). Alas! Alack! Whew?! ;)

Where was I? For sure.. before everyone gets all up in a tizzy, I *should* add that the realdeal is that I don't have any more *unflavored* vodka in the house. You see, the other day I applied my last half-liter of clear niceness to a(nother) noble infusion experiment.. so let me ask you:

Do you like the aroma, the slickness, or, dare I say, the *stimulation* of whole star anise?

I do. Yikes!

Hmm.. although, I don't have any particular mixed drink in mind for the licorice elixir (which will be ready, I'm thinking, by the weekend). But I think it might be tasty to have, simply: over rocks. How can I be so sure (of future enjoyment)? Let me count the ways:

1. While not my usual "go to" drink, I *do* have a fondness for a nice lowball glass of decent vodka over ice when I'm in the right mood and/or company.

2. I like me some anise flavor in general; in fact, one of my top choices for cocktails-made-at-home right now: Redbull and absinthe (6 parts of the former to 1 part of the latter, over lots of ice).

Two reasons are enough for me! Bring on the drink! haha.

Ah, speaking of absinthe - it would have been more timely to mention this a few weeks ago - but that purveyor-of-cool-events (delivered right to your inbox, natch), Flavorpill, recently put up a nice mini-site dedicated to the Green Fairy (as absinthe may be more poetically known); check it here. There, you'll find an abbreviated history of how this particular liquor came to be such a seductress, along with a couple of fancy cocktail recipes -- including their "Summer 2008 Signature Cocktail", the Flavorpill Orange Fresh.

In any case, as I sorta hinted at, I meant to post this Flavorpill+absinthe business a few weeks ago because those guys were sponsoring a few parties earlier this month with free Orange Fresh tastings at madhip places like Santos Party House in NYC and Mezzanine in SF; and, from what I hear, there was some maddancy music to be had too. But, c'est la vie. If you didn't know, now you know..

And knowing is half the battle (video). So get yourself a bottle and start makin' up for lost time! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, and if you have any good ideas for my anise-infused vodka, let me know!

No comments: