Thursday, February 26, 2009

Your new single speed is $252, today only!

I've wanted to replace my commuter roadbike* -- an old Cinelli from the mid-80's -- for probably about a year now.

I mean, it's been a great workhorse over the years (especially in the days when I was Caltraining it down to Mountain View and then riding over to Santa Clara for work most of the workweek), but the frame has always been *slightly* too small for me.. and, well, it just never fit 100%. We even had a little tiff back in July -- and this was the final straw with respect to me riding this bike regularly -- involving an attempted sprint through a SOMA traffic light, a rear derailleur failure, and, ultimately, a trip to the emergency room for my first real stitches. (Oddly enough, no actual crash happened; I stayed on my bike through the whole episode and, in fact, rode most of the way to the hospital. Can you guess what happened?)

Yeah.. so I've had my eye out for a well-fitting road or cyclocross bike ever since; I've even considered getting a single-speed (with a freewheel, thank you very much). I know, me getting over my aversion to the too-cool(-but-usually-not-deservedly-so) style of the single-speed here in the city: whoa! And, haha.

Admittedly, I haven't really tried too hard to make a purchase because I still have two *other* bikes.. bikes which basically fit most of my two-wheeled needs these days: a dusted-up-but-so-solid citybike (i.e. one I can feel ok about locking up around town), and a great 2006 Giant TCR C1 roadbike for my long(ish) rides (and very occasional race) up in the Marin "countryside".

But today; today, I came across a deal-almost-too-good-to-pass-up at performancebike.com:

Scattante Emerald City Single Speed Road Bike
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=26052

Right now, it's on sale for $280; and with a today-only 10% discount, this bike is $252.. down from an original price of $599. For real. (By the way, Scattante is the house brand of Performance Bike, not some fancy Italian shizz.)

I've tried to do a little online research to see what folks' thought of it, but I didn't really come up with too much. The Bikes for the Rest of Us blog wrote a post about it, but didn't *review* it. And the Blog Snob NYC railed on the whole Performance Bike "Courier Series" (of which the Emerald City is a part), but, again, didn't say too much about the actual bike itself. I'm just looking for some comments in the way of its comfort or speed or durability.. or just it's general utility/value.

Man, it's $252.

So cheap. And Performance Bike has a pretty good return policy. In fact, I just chatted with customer service and if I need to switch the bike for a different frame size there's no restocking fee; you just take it to the store and do an exchange, even if you've ordered the bike online (they may not have a replacement bike in-store, but in this case, you just have to wait for them to order it).

I'm on the fence; my main concern is that if I'm going to get another bike, I should get something more versatile (read: more gears!) for any future long commutes, cyclocross or touring opportunities.. or whatever. More gears = peace of mind? Yeah, but, that said, I'd have to drop at least $800 for something decent in one of those categories.

In any case, I have until midnight to decide (at least if I want to take advantage of today's extra 10% off online coupon).. so, on the off chance that anyone has any knowledge/experience on the Emerald City here, let me know asap!

~~~~

* That's not me in the picture. ;0

4 comments:

Dru Henke said...

I just bought one myself. I mean how far wrong can you go for $252? It has a long-ish top tube relative to the seat tube, so I am a little concerned about the fit.

Eric said...

You know what? I didn't buy it, and I'm kicking myself now; I should have taken your advice. I mean, since that 1-day sale, it's been back up to $500 (every time I checked anyway); if anyone sees it go back down to sub-$300, let me know!!

Anonymous said...

Bought an Emerald City for $299 on Saturday, 30 May, and it arrived today (via FedEx Ground, no less). Just found your post, or I would've mentioned the sale. Looks like they're back up to $500 now. I'll post once I"ve given it a good test ride.

Eric said...

Looks like the bike is back on sale today, for $269.99 (including today's 10% off orders over $75 discount)!! Check the new product link:

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&mpe_id=12754&intv_id=16002&partNumber=30-1192&evtype=CpgnClick&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&ddkey=http:ClickInfo

Just note that not all sizes are in stock.. including my preferred size of 56cm. Ooops.

In any case, if anyone else makes the purchase, I'd love to hear about how it rides.. and, perhaps more importantly, about its durability. Thanks!