Friday, August 17, 2007

An act that blossoms two days a week

At first, the act crossed my mind as a practical matter; I would tie it tight.. but not too tight. You see, my hair is getting longer and longer by the day, and now intersects the plane of my eyes; my hair has arrived at a crossroads of fashion and inconvenience (I know, I know: a common affliction for the fairer sex). The white and tastefully-bepatterned fabric would keep the situation manageable and, therefore, on the side of the former, for now (I think).

In short, the carefullyish-folded bandanna just felt right; I bought it in Japan for god's sake.

It's been awhile since I've wore a bandanna seriously (well, as seriously as it gets, pre-Red-Queen), but I'd like you all to think back to high school: we could probably dig up some pictures that would make us *all* guilty of some swish transgression (cultural or otherwise). And here, while I wear a new - and particular - object (pressed first to my forehead, and, as part of the practical process, drawn around to the back), it is one that echoes the past and, furthermore, it echoes another version of me. The bandanna connects me to a former self; and, I like it.

You see, I am running.

And running.
And running.
And running.
And, well, it's an act that blossoms two days a week (for now).
And, well, I won't say no (to two days a week; there are worse punishments).

Again, the object and the acts (of folding) (and running) connect me to the past; these acts connect the present to a former life. And it feels right. So, regardless of the fashion-sense (or lack thereof) - I shampooed and conditioned today; I shaved - I will take the fabulously limp fabric and fold it upon itself four times (¡no más!); it must end up a certain width before it becomes accessible to my intention and appropriate for my purposes. The (my) hair and the (my) sweat never reach gravity's final destination; physics be damned. In the meantime, I'll keep running.

And running.
And running.
And running.
And, well, it's an act that blossoms two days a week (for now).
And, well, I won't say no (to two days a week; there are worse punishments).

No comments: