Friday, October 5, 2007

Fancy Footwork beside the toilet bowl

So I'm feeling a bit under the weather today - actually, I'm feeling more than a bit under the weather if me *leaving* the Anchor Brewing brewery tour today, just as it was starting, is any indication - and find myself watching an America's Next Top Model marathon on MTV (season 3, it seems). Yikes! It doesn't exactly ease the pain, but it has been a pleasant surprise to see Chromeo in almost every MTV-sponsored commercial, either in person or by way of their music as its soundtrack.

How did this arrangement come about? No matter; good for them (and good for new folks getting to discover them via the wider exposure).

I'm not sure how I first came across these funk-electro revivalists (and genre pushers), but their "Needy Girl" video has been one of my favorites for a few years now (and it is always easily accessible on my computer desktop). If you haven't seen it yet, you need to; watch it here (now). Among the many little details that promote this musical musing (and occasional what-the-fuckness) into music video genius, the addition of digital gold dust, flying about, highlighting this and that, takes the cake. Good stuff, sirs! And towards the end, you, deservedly, sit in your white suits on your white lounge chairs, and turn towards each other to lock gazes and raise fists in heartfelt celebration: you know you've created a delicious new world - a good and whole and 80's-inspired world, complete with croquet on the lawn and breakdancing in kaleidoscopes. Forced Exposure said it best (in their review of Chromeo Presents Un Joli Mix Pour Toi): "(Chromeo) puts a smile on your face and a rocket in your pants". Two of my favorite things; who woulda thought?

Of course, they have many other songs to enjoy, to get dancey to.. two albums worth, in fact (not including any remix work that they've done, like "Un Joli" mentioned above). And if you can hear them in person, all the better; check to see if P-Thugg and Dave 1 are coming to your town on their myspace page. Dave 1 also does a bit of dj'ing as well (mostly in the NYC area, I think), and I can personally attest that he rocks a good party; keep those ears to the ground.

In the meantime, merci et avoir une bonne nuit!

ps. My favorites never win America's Next Top Model (yes, I have favorites, at least while I'm watching a goddamn marathon of the show). haha.

No comments: