Monday, October 1, 2007

My use case is amiss

My cell phone has been on the fritz for a few weeks now, turning off whenever it felt the electronic need - even during a call. Not dropping calls, mind you, but turning totally off, like a sleepy shepherd after his animals are packed in their pens for the night; but, here, even the break of dawn (or wolf attack) could not rouse my phone for a full day of activity. You see, I could turn it back on immediately (or, at least, when I realized it was off) - the battery indicator icon still showing me full strength - and proceed on, but it sure was becoming a hassle; it would turn off again at least once before the day was done. I mean, this sort of technology is just supposed to work; it is supposed to enable me to participate in the norms of social interaction and information gathering (and exploitation).

But, as of Friday night, the phone does not turn on at all; the technology has failed me fully. And, actually, it's a little bit uncomfortable. haha. I should clarify:

I'm not someone who's on the phone all day. I'm more likely to be walking around the city looking up at the forgotten tops of buildings than chitchatting (fyi: even many of the shitty shops downtown on Market Street are actually in some interesting old buildings.. you just need to train your eye above the first couple of floors). And unless there is a good reason (i.e. anticipating a call to do some sort of coordination), I am probably one of the few people that doesn't answer their cell phone if I'm in someone else's company.. which is a behavior that is, for the most part, appreciated, but I've also been called out on it (by jilted callers). haha. I guess the norms around cell phone use aren't set in stone, and vary with the players involved (or not involved, as the case may be).

So the issue of (my) uncomfortability does not stem from a need for constant contact, but, rather, from a need for instant access to people (and visa versa) when I do want it; I've become used to this ability (and so have you). And with no real house phone (save for skype), I'm feeling a little isolated. haha. It's funny how fast we get used to something so relatively new as ubiquitous communication, but I guess that points to how useful or, at least, desirous, the ability is.

For example, I got a bit ancy this past Saturday night, waiting for a friend in front of The Fillmore (to see Girl Talk and Dan Deacon - be sure to check these guys out in your town); you see, the plan - via email - was to meet there at 8:45pm, but my friend didn't make it until 9:15pm or so. Usually this sort of thing is not a big deal; a quick txt or phone call would let me know my friend was running late. But without the means to receive such a message, my imagination got going and thought about him not being able to show up at all, or missing him, or whatever; he had my ticket. Yeah, so even though I knew that it was all good - folks run late all the time, myself included - I'm used to getting some sort of heads-up when plans change.

At this point, we're used to the fact that *everyone* has a cell phone, and, as such, this infrastructure has enabled new modes of social operation; last minute planning or changes in plan can be accommodated much more easily then they used to be. Our days can be optimized in terms of time management therein. So whatever you've scheduled for yourself - last minute or not - it's at least easier to "fit it all in".

I could expand the discussion to include economic or sociological theory with respect to our information society - the more the better (if you know what to do with it) - but I'll digress. Well, I got the clearance from work today to order a replacement phone and should have it by the end of the week. And at that point, I'll have forgotten anything was amiss; the technology - and its fabulous use cases - will be back in place (for me). Until then, feel free to send me an email, or, if you're feeling the need for something more physical (or nostalgic), send me a postcard of handwritten origins (yours). And if you catch me in the street (I may not see you; I may be looking up), say hello; I'll be sure to give you a hardy handshake; it's been so long since we've talked.

No comments: