Thursday, October 25, 2007

You won't believe, only four beers

You know I'm a man all about his beer, but I really didn't partake too much on this last trip to NYC. I suppose it was a combination of a couple of things, but the short answer is that I didn't make it a priority (like I did on my last two trips in the summer) and my usual NYC company isn't particularly into it, given a choice.

That said, I did make it over to Barcade in Brooklyn - just down the street from where I was staying - for a pint (or two); it had been on the to-do list for awhile. The place is large, and on a lazy - and warm! - Sunday evening in October it seemed especially cavernous (i.e. relative to the amount of people there). I'd be interested to see if/how the space fills up on a weekend night; I've read it can get crowded. The industrial garage-like interior is lined with a slew of 80's era stand-up video games (think Gauntlet and Tetris, not Street Fighter).. and, more of my interest, there is a bar area with 25 or so craft brewers on tap.

Their selection is heavily focused on local brews (ex. Chelsea, Southampton, and Smuttynose brewing companies), and to that, I say: kudos! While part of me wishes that every good beer (née, every good everything) somehow finds it's way to the Bay Area, I can appreciate the need to actually go to a place - physically - to experience them (and other local charms, of course). That sounds like the start of another long blog entry (beyond beer), so I'll digress..

I started with a pint of HopDevil from Victory Brewing, a tried and true favorite of mine, but it was my first time having it on tap; and then followed with a Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout from Cape Ann Brewing Company. The latter was a truly unique beer and I hope I come across it again. It's very much a coffee-y stout from the start, but the pumpkin and its usual entourage of spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice) provide a subtle undertone of warmth and evoke a holiday season je ne sais quoi.

Other than those, I only had two more beers of note over the week.

The first was this year's Harvest Ale from Sierra Nevada; it was the first time they'd bottled this annual brew, and it sure was tasty; I hope they keep bottling it. I'd read about "wet hop" ales for the first time only this year, but if Sierra's version of it is any yardstick for the rest, I'm going to seek more out before the season is done. In fact, there is a wet hop festival at the Toronado this weekend.. which I may or may not go to given how crowded every public event at the Toronado gets.. but at least they should have some kegs there for this coming week.

The last beer of note was the Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse (a mouthful, huh?) from Brooklyn Brewery. The only thing I can say is that while I understand it to be an exciting beer, given its lineage, it was a bit too sweet and banana-y for my tastes; and I didn't like the mouthfeel. To each their own, right? But the silver lining is that I had it on tap at a cool Brooklyn bar (and grill, apparently) named Maracuja; it is exquisitely decorated, with lots of dark woods and the right hues of (low) lighting to match. After two rounds of pool (if you're wondering, my friend slaughtered me), we finished our drinks out back in their canopied and trellised garden.. and basically had the place to ourselves the whole time, but I think that was a consequence of it being late on a Monday night, so it may get crazy on the weekends or something. Still, given all the pro's of the scene, I'm willing to take my chances next time I roll through town.. which is looking like November (frequent flier miles represent!).

Hopefully, at that time I'll still be able to get my hands on more great pumpkin treats; I've been obsessing on the pumpkin this year (who knows why). On this trip, I got both beer and bagels tinged with the flavor of this large orange benefactor, but I know there are more tasty devices in which to enjoy this holiday staple. And I say, bring 'em on!

ps. Barcade also has a full bar, which is uncommon, I think, for a place that has such a great focus on beer. But in (another) twist, they have offerings from micro distilleries like Dogfish Head Spirits along with the more common hard stuff.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I made it to Anchor Steam Brewery again last Monday because some folks were in town. It was the first time in my life that I was completely wasted by 11:45AM on a Monday.