Monday, January 14, 2008

Better late than never, SF Sketchfest

The 7th annual San Francisco Sketchfest just started this past weekend; it runs from now through the 27th of January. That's right, a comedy festival right here in our great city, running for weeks on end.. and I've still never been to a showing!

Not until this *coming* Sunday, anyway..

This year's awesome lineup has finally gotten me off my ass. I mean, the folks that put on the SF Sketchfest have grown the event to be a premier venue for both up-and-comers and those from the "established comedy underground", folks like Brent Weinbach, Brian Posehn, Tim and Eric, the Upright Citizens Brigade (A.S.S.S.S.C.A.T.) and a reunited Kids in the Hall. And this list is just the tip of the iceberg; scores of others are also performing.

Yeah, so I bought tickets to a show this coming Sunday at Mezzanine:

Jon Benjamin and Eugene Mirman's Fresh Faces of Comedy
Featuring Bob Odenkirk, Tim and Eric, and Michael Showalter


There are a couple other shows I thought about going to (ex. anything with Mr. Weinbach), but given some schedule clashes (CCSF night classes start this week), I was limited in my options. That said, the Fresh Faces of Comedy show was at the top of my list anyway. Yeah, I'm not sure what to expect from the guys behind Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, but it's sure to be at least pleasantly askew, if not a full on bad makeup and pursed lip comedy trainwreck (in a good way - haha). And, of course, Bob Odenkirk and Michael Showalter are proven laughologists..

In any case, if you're into slightly-skewed comedy, I'd say to get on some tickets (check the SF Sketchfest schedule); shows are happening everyday and at venues all over the city. Some of the big name events (like A.S.S.S.S.C.A.T.) have sold out already, but there are still plenty of laughs to be had. I'm pretty sure that if you go with an open mind - and maybe have a drink or two while you're there - you can't really go wrong; laugh therapy does a body good.

No comments: