Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Cornell, a Cummings, and a Newsom

It seems it's been a week for art.

Last Saturday, I *finally* got to check out the Joseph Cornell exhibit at the SFMOMA; good thing we made it happen this past weekend, because it closed the very next day. This retrospective was the last show in the current crop of exhibitions that I needed to check out; I had already seen the biggies of Olafur Eliasson and Jeff Wall at least twice, each. And it's odd I left Mr. Cornell to the last minute here because when I first saw a photo of his dreamy box construction, Untitled (Tilly Losch), I knew I would be into his stuff. His work is enchanting on many levels.

Actually, the curators amassed and displayed over 200 of Cornell's works, and this massive sum tired me out pretty quickly, even if most of them are physically very small; I was, therefore, only really able to give my full attention to the first couple of rooms. In that sense, I should have gone to see the show weeks ago, which would have given me time to return and return again, to tackle the pleasurable - if daunting - task of giving each thoughtful object its due. You see, his work is so detailed, so created (crafted?) from a myriad of everyday objects, that you can't help but be drawn into each piece's secretlife; and there, your mind - at least your subconscious mind - can be easily overwhelmed by such surroundings. What treasure to be found in each nook and cranny! Each piece demands a storytelling (are you man/woman enough?); and whimsy is encouraged.

On Tuesday night, I met a friend at John's Hayes Valley Market, that sometimes art gallery at the corner of Hayes and Laguna, for a group art show called Boomerang. In fact, we went there specifically for the opening reception and film screening; several films - 2 silent and 2 talkies, all reel-to-reel media - were part of the eclectic mix of works. Overall, it looked like a good crew in attendance, and I was glad that I made time to check out this gallery; I've walked by it so many times! As for the art, like most group shows (at least here in San Francisco), it was a mixed bag.. but curated tighter than most.

Two artists jumped out at me. The first, well.. I actually didn't catch their name (and so, I need to go back this weekend). But look for the colorful "X" and "V" drawings, framed and hung on the right wall as you walk in the entrance to the gallery. However, I was *really* enamored with the acrylic stylings of Timothy Cummings; he submitted a good 10 pieces to the show - most being around 10" x 12" and painted on paper or wood.

He framed his androgynous subjects icongraphicly, and captured them with dark and brooding gazes inspired in color and form by the Old Masters; the results were, in all cases, haunting (and I couldn't help but be mesmerized). Without a doubt, a rich and personal mythology simmered beneath the surface of each painting. I'll have to do more research on this talented - and self-taught - artist.

The very next night - last night - I bussed it over to the de Young Museum with a lovely date for SF Mayor Gavin Newsom's inauguration party.. such a random invite, but a most welcome one, indeed. Actually, I should clarify that *I* was a "+1", making me the tag along - I'd like to think "arm candy" - for the event (hey, I rocked some kickass silver cuff links for the occasion). haha. Not exactly a scene I usually roll with, but, that said, I certainly like to indulge in the trappings of all walks of life when I get the chance. And SF politics + free food + open bars + circus? + samba! + galleries all to yourself (and your date) = a pretty cool evening. Did I mention the open bars?

If you have access to Facebook, there are a couple of pretty good pictures posted of the event linked to my name. All I'll say right now is that you simply have to stand next to Mr. Newsom - and an arm around his back doesn't hurt - to find yourself with a fine tan; the pictures of this (former) whiteboy don't lie. Viva San Francisco! (And if you don't have access to Facebook and want to see the pics, let me know and we can hook it up.)

No comments: