Saturday, January 26, 2008

Let me tell you about my new carrots

It's been a long time coming, but I picked up my first CSA box earlier this week.. the first of many. And so, it seems, I'm guaranteed an, um, afternoon delight on Wednesdays, veggies and fruits - oh my! CSA, you ask? (Or was that afternoon delight?)

CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture, and for a cityfolk like me, it's the closest thing I'll get to having a crazybig garden myself to provide fresh fruits and veggies all year 'round. I basically bought a "share" of a local farm's harvest and, as such, they will deliver a seasonal selection of goodies weekly to a neighborhood drop-off point a few blocks from my apartment. Pretty cool, huh?

And even though we're in the middle of winter - typically the worst selection of the year - the box is pretty good.. it's filled with apples and grapefruit and spinach and some other good things. California, yes! And now, late at night, I'm thinking about the last few carrots that wait for me for tomorrow. Yes, it's the carrots - the best I've had in ages (and I don't care if part of it is placebo effect) - that confirmed that this was the right CSA (Terra Firma), at the right time (regardless of season). If this first box is any indication, then we, my friend, are on our way (to tastyland)..

In fact, I've already seen the bounty coming at more harvest-friendly times of the year - via some friends who hooked up with this CSA ages ago - and I know that the mid-January selection is just the tip of the iceberg. Yeah, so lots to look forward to like asparagus, snap peas, and strawberries; I can't wait for the season to develop! Signing up was long overdue; and what better excuse to explore some new recipes - and have friends over - than having fresh, organic, local produce show up, basically, at your door? Eat well!

No comments: