Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Can I be a pleasure (to read)?

It's January, just past the holidays (and some buffer), and minds-in-the-(want-to)-know turn towards another season of school; for these folks, seasons are measured in neatly-packaged semesters. And, for me, that means CCSF is back in session - this week, in fact - and tonight I've begun a new little branch of academic endeavors. You see, I've started a weekly Short Story class, which makes me - officially - something of a writer. Well, at least, that's what I'll tell chicks at parties (and we'll keep the part about it being a night class at CCSF our little secret). ;)

Actually, I *am* excited to see how things work out at school.. on several levels. Remember that I have no formal English education beyond high school - writing or literature or otherwise - so I'm first looking to baseline my current level of comprehension and aptitude for the discipline. That is, can I write something that other people find stimulating and/or entertaining; can I be a pleasure (to read)? Beyond that sort of raw feedback, it is good to know that I have time set aside each week for writing (not to mention for doing background reading assignments). One of the main benefits of paying for a class such as this is that you have submitted yourself to a structure of discipline.. and you don't want to waste your money. Here, now, there are appointments to keep and concrete assignments to deliver. Yes, sir! Yes, ma'am! And all of that.

I'll be posting everything I'm up to for this class here on the blog, and comments are welcome; comments are always welcome, in fact. I won't be offended if you think something "isn't working". Well, I'll, at least, *act* like I'm not offended and listen intently as you apply your harsh worldview to my work. Oh, I thank you; I thank you for your valuable opinion! Deep in my heart, however, I know that Morrissey understands me and my artistic vision; he understands me, complete and whole. (So screw you.) haha.

In any case, the short version of why I'm taking the class is that I'm hoping to be inspired - in a get-off-my-ass sort of way (versus a hippy-dippy, great idea from heaven sort of way) - to develop of few nascent writing projects rolling around in my head (details to follow; stay tuned). So, when such a project, however small, gets going - and you have a critical audience in the mix - the desire to NOT FAIL in front of your peers (whatever that means in this case) is strong. At the least, I know I can apply some of the writing/brainstorming/organizing techniques to some of my deliverables at work (training presentations, application notes, and so forth).. although, really, what fun is that when, there, I'm writing about computer chips?

Hey, but if this class-as-inspiration thing works out, maybe I'll sign up for an art course next semester. You see, I also need a kick in the butt to get my mind wrapped around that amorphous tattoo that I keep talking and talking about (yet, somehow, never actually get); it's been years since I first had an, um, inkling of this (permanently) marked desire.

Still, I need to be focused on the present: I have an short story assignment due this coming week and, besides, tomorrow I make the journey back to the CCSF Noe Valley campus for my other linguistic love: Русский язык. In Russian class, my goals are much lower (with respect to effecting nuances of communication), but no less noble. I want to know how *you're* doing all over the world (and we'll start with those of you in Russia and its sphere of influence). Пока!

No comments: