Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Fighting for your ears' attention

My work is done after - simply - making you aware of their existence, by advancing this music above and beyond the usual clutter that fights for your ears' attention; I'll let the work of these artists speak for itself:

1. MCMXLV - Dinosaur Jr. meets Joy Division?
Next SF show: January 10th @ The Red Devil Lounge

2. Rykarda Parasol - Gothic, sultry, piano rock
Next SF show: January 25th @ Cafe du Nord

3. Love Grenades - Seductress dancepop
Next SF show: NONE; catch them in Los Angeles on February 15th

And, by the good grace (and taste) of some of my friends - one old and one new; both super cute - I submit two more fun entries for your consideration:

4. The Virgins - Garagey Britpop w/ some whiteboy funk
Next SF show: NONE; catch them on their East Coast/ Midwest tour in Jan/Feb

5. The Dodos - Countryfied folkrock with a side of psych
Next SF show: February 28th @ Cafe du Nord

What I would suggest is to listen to a few tunes from each of these groups on myspace (which is where the links above will land you) and write your own one-liner description; I know you can conjure up something better than my weak offerings of "Garagey Britpop w/ some whiteboy funk" or "Countryfied folkrock with a side of psych". ;) Do it for yourself, of course - it's a great exercise in learning the language of the musicsnob - but if you're feeling randy, put your wonderful works of art in the comments. For some inspiration, check out the album descriptions from the crew at Aquarius Records; those guys and gals are truly the masters of such aural (and encyclopedic) industry.

And on a note more grounded in the visceral - let's DO the music instead of writing about it - if you're interested in going to any of the shows I mentioned above, let me know..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey homie, I saw the MCMXLV band at the Knockout a few weeks ago. They're friends of Andrew's from NJ. Good stuff.

Eric said...

Ah yes! Jamie, you were the hookup on MCMXLV.. after you mentioned their show at the Knockout a couple months ago (and how awesome it was), I put them on my check-these-guys out list. ;)