Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Runner's World online: you done outdid yourself!

Runner's World added a free training log to their set of online tools not too long ago. Simply create an account on the site and you'll be able to plan, record, and track workouts from any computer. The interface does not limit you to running workouts; you can add biking workouts, strength training, and even general "health notes". As you add more and more entries, you'll be able to create custom graphs of distance, time, pace, heart rate, temperature, run quality, or weight over any time period you choose. There are a few other cool features as well, but one of the neatest is an integrated GUI for recording routes via Google maps (ex. your favorite running or cycling route).

The direct url is (http://traininglog.runnersworld.com), but I'm not sure if you need to be registered with the site first to be able to access it. If this link doesn't work, simply go to the Runner's World main page and you'll see a "Training Log" link in the top menu.

Whenever I'm "training" for something (ex. a running, biking, or swimming race), I do find it very helpful to keep a record of my workouts. And, further, if I can plan them in advance, I'm even better off; it helps my motivation just to mark which days I'm looking to run (or climb or whatever) in the calendar, even if I don't have all the details (mileage, pace, etc.) in mind ahead of time.

In short, start using the training log and you may find yourself in better shape just as the San Francisco "summer" is upon us. And if you're looking for a place to begin (spiritually or athletically speaking), Runner's World online also has a great set of articles for folks just starting out (check the "Beginners", "Training", or "Motivation" links), including specific workout schedules to get you to your first 5k, half-marathon or longer. Any other questions? Just ask me.. ;)

1 comment:

JMW said...

This is brilliant! Thank you.