Friday, September 7, 2007

A funhouse became a madhouse

This past Wednesday night I went to the Olafur Eliasson opening at SFMOMA for his new show: "Take your time", which was a title that proved incredibly accurate given the crowds. He had turned the fifth floor into a tight funhouse for cultured adults, complete with mirrored platforms, clanking floorboards and highly-textured walls. There was also a hydrogen-powered car with a body made out of ice: look, but don't touch; blankets were provided for a viewing if you had forgotten your mink stole.

All his work - here, anyway - is very experiential (for the viewer) insofar as it plays with your senses and, consequently, your perception(s) of the world in a very direct manner. Get inside a kaleidoscope; look out (and then inwards)! Bathe yourself in colored light; that's not how I remember you! Stomp the floor; make noise enough for the walls to dance! And so on.. nothing to blow your mind or anything, but certainly a nice way to spend some time.

As I mentioned, the funhouse became a madhouse in which to make your way slowly (even if you wanted otherwise) on the opening night. This was surprising since I got there at 7:15pm or so for the Upper Level preview, before they let in the general member riff-raff at 8. ;) Eliasson's installations are in such tiny spaces and the layout of the 5th floor (where most of them are housed) was somewhat claustrophobic; I had never seen so many walls up in the museum. Still, I definitely want to go back on a quieter day; I'm sure it would make for a much different experience, a different experience in an attempt at an alternate reality.

But while I *was* there, I absconded away to see some other areas of the museum that were being totally neglected; and so, I had them almost all to myself. Specifically, I walked through part of the permanent collection on the 3rd floor and ended up sitting down on a bench in front of a large Rothko (No. 14, 1960). You could make out the din of the culturati in the background, but even that noise could fade if you let yourself be, you let yourself breathe. Actually, it was almost like chilling out in someone's quiet bedroom during a loud party.. that is, if you were at a party with multi-million dollar paintings on the walls. Well..

If you do go to these sorts of social gatherings, please invite me next time.

(ahem)

As for this party, nee art opening, at SFMOMA, it was a good scene in which to socialize, but not really to check out the art. In short, it was like most art openings.. which is totally cool; adjust your expectations accordingly (if you haven't been to many art openings). I like the idea of the art just being there and, on some level, just an excuse to get all these folks together. Of course, I hope there is some substance behind the works, given all the money involved at this particular institution, but for the first night anyway, that sort of thing is besides the point. ;) Like I said, the fact that I didn't really get to experience the installations in a way I would want to (on some sort of quasi-intellectual level) is a good excuse to go back. See you there!

No comments: