Monday, September 10, 2007

Be proud of the trinity: newbeer, djmix, gayeyes

Three disparate stuffs for a Monday:

First, I added a new link to the "Social Lubricants" menu on the right: The Beer Pirate (http://www.thebeerpirate.com/). While it sounds swashbuckling and bombastic, it's actually a very straightforward blog of mostly beer reviews, along with the occasional piece of beer news; in short, it's full of some easy (and mouth-watering) beer reading. In fact, it reminded me that pumpkin ale season is upon us with today's review of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale. It's not that big of a deal here on the West Coast, but on the East Coast - especially the Northeast - the appearance of pumpkin ales certainly indicates the arrival of Fall, cooler temperatures, shorter days, darker (and spiced) beers and so forth. Yeah, since here in SF where is never gets too hot or too cold, I sorta had to do a double take, like it didn't occur to me that the summer was "over" (but I guess it never occurred to me that the summer "started" either).

My continuing internet adventures today led me back to one of my favorite music sites: Disco Belle, where I played a bit of catch-up on a few weeks of entries. Again, they brought another kick-ass dj mix to my attention.. this time by Them Jeans, that LA music tastemaker (or, at least, player), Jason Stewart. While he's been known to throw down anything from hardcore to post-rock to ambient at his parties (per his bio), this mix - called "All Work. All Play." - is pure dancefloor-friendly hiphop.. with a little British twist at the end. I've been playing it non-stop today; check the track list:

Russ Chimes - She’s Got The Heat
M.I.A. - Boyz (acapella)
Rock D The Legend (ft. Big Boi) - DDT
N2Deep - Back To The Hotel
Freck Billionaire - Peter Pan
Soulja Boy - Crank Dat (instrumental)
M.I.A. - Paper Planes
U.G.K. - Swishas And Dosha
Busy P - Rainbow Man
Khafani (ft. Keak Da Sneak) - Fast
DJ Khaled - We Takin’ Over (instrumental)
Electric Light Orchestra - Showdown
M.I.A. - Jimmy
Uffie - Brand New Car (instrumental)
Soulja Boy - Crank Dat (Cousin Cole remix)
Kia Shine - Wow (acapella)
U.G.K. - Like That (remix)
Ali & Gipp (ft. David Banner) - Get On The Floor
Dude ‘N Em - Watch My Feet
Juelz Santana - Okay Okay
Ratatat - Loud Pipes
Ice Cube - You Know How We Do It
The Smiths - How Soon Is Now

Get this music here, now; and dance around your room.

Finally, as I was leaving the SF Library (main branch, natch) this evening, a man in his late 20's comes up to me and asks, "Are you gay?" I casually turn my head more fully towards him and simply say, "No".. to his minor disappointment. All the while he's giving me his best "Gay Eyes". I quickly offer a "Sorry" and we both continue on; why would I feel the need to offer a "sorry"? haha. Yes, just another day in the life..

ps. If you're wondering what "Gay Eyes" are, I'd suggest asking local comedian Brent Weinbach - one of my favorite comedians anywhere, actually. He also has a great recipe for couscous.

No comments: