Friday, December 7, 2007

Less and less Prohibition

Ahh.. I heard about it last week, but forgot in the hubbub of the past couple of days (i.e. guest in town, final for Russian class, etc.). The Drink Blog at 7x7 reminded me today that December 5th was the 74th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition here in the US. And given that the weekend is just about upon us, remember that a brief toast in appreciation of our ability to imbibe (at all) is in order. (And then put it out of your mind and just do your, um, weekend thang.)

Out of coincidence, 2007 - and just recently, at that - was the year that saw the repeal of another archaic liquor law; this one was surrounding La Fée Verte. You see, absinthe, that anise flavored liqueur of ill-repute, is back for sale in the US (legally); and, if you want to actually distill it here, you can do that too (after A LOT of paperwork, I imagine). In fact, St. George Spirits distillery in Alameda is making their own version (after years of under-the-radar experimentation). Check the full details at the NYTimes:

A Liquor of Legend Makes a Comeback
By Pete Wells
Published: December 5, 2007


While I did have some Eastern European-based absinthe drinking fantasy when I was in college - it seemed like the epitome of subversive sophistication! - it doesn't exactly have the same appeal for me now that I've done a little traveling and drinking and all that. How jaded of me, I know. haha. That said, if a bottle of good-quality stuff came my way, I will not say no; and a cafe in Budapest will not be required for me to enjoy it. A nice place in NYC with friends would do. Or, Alameda.

No comments: