Sunday, December 16, 2007

Seize the immediate order

A few of you know that I've already got some big ideas for adventure holiday(s) in 2008; in fact, I have several trips in mind:

1. Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro / visiting my sister in Kenya
2. Climbing Mt. Elbrus / indulging in contemporary Tblisi (Грузия)
3. Climbing Mt. Shasta / rocking some Northern California breweries
4. Trainride across Russia to Lake Baikal / visiting friends in Japan

I think you can see a common theme; yeah, but I'll admit I'm not sure exactly where this mountaineering kick is coming from. Oh, and note that I'm down for fun beyond what I've listed here; keep them ideas coming. I've even got some other trips in mind (ex. hiking Denali and Mt. Aconcagua, getting buzzed at the Great American Beer Festival), presumably to be done *after* the ones above, but totally willing to reorder. More specifically, I can appreciate the notion of taking advantage of serendipitous opportunities as they present themselves (front and center!).. even moreso, now that I've started reading "Seven Summits." More on the book later..

In any case, I *do* want to, um, rock several of the bad boys on the list above, but realize the need to, first, prioritize and, then, start some concrete planning. There are a couple of complications, of course, but one of them is that my sister is actually climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro in February, which is a little bit sooner than I had in mind (i.e. if I wanted to join her).. and, also, she's leaving Kenya altogether in August, giving me a deadline for having a place to stay in western Kenya (and to see the life that she's put together for herself this past year or so). Beyond that, I've got a friend in Kyiv (the guy I went to Russia/Kyrgyzstan with this past summer, actually), who - as we've already discussed - might be interested in all or part of the Elbrus/Tblisi trip; and I'm not sure how long he's staying in the area. Oh yeah, in the bigger picture, I find out today that some of these adventures actually fall under the umbrella of "Doom Tourism", where the destinations are "endangered" for one reason or another. Still.. I know, I know.. poor me; I'm choosing from a set of awesome alternatives. ;)

And, for sure, I know it's cliché, but I've sorta (mentally) resigned myself to not, actually, getting my ass in gear, so to speak, planning-wise, until after the New Year. So we'll see how everything actually shakes out - and who I can cajole into adventuring with me - over the next couple of weeks.

But back to my reading list.

After finishing "We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families" - a book about the (still ongoing?) Rwandan genocide - a few days ago, I started into "Seven Summits" - a most timely birthday gift from one of my aunts. It's about the the first two guys to climb the highest peak on each of the seven continents. The proposition sounds like something that would have been accomplished a century ago, but is was only the early-1980's that two amateur mountaineers - both in their 50's! - gave it go.

As I mentioned, I just started into the story.. and was thinking, at first, that it might not be for me at all, given that the book was written from a beginner's - wow, we're climbing mountains! - point of view. But, it's actually resonating with me quite a bit! In particular, I'm overlooking the minutia of the climbs (ex. the main "characters" not necessarily being in shape), and taking note of the bigger themes, those on the order of "seize the day!". Hmm.. I guess those are the types of messages I'm looking to hear right now..

That actually reminds me of a conversation that I had with a friend a few weeks ago at a wine bar, here in San Francisco. Among other things that we talked about, we agreed for the need to say "fuck it" every once in awhile - not in a nihilistic sense, but in a sense of escaping from the expectations of our particular "daily existences"; further, we talked about the need to say it more often. I'm feeling, lately, that I haven't been following this particular advice; it's amazing how that sort of thing works - or, I guess, doesn't work - even when you "know what to do".

So, it's all well and good - née, great! - that I'm planning all these far-flung adventures, but I also need to keep in mind that I should also, well, seize the day closer to home. But I think *that* discussion is another blog entry altogether.. wait, that "discussion" is, actually, something to *do* in real-life, something to make *happen*, preferably, with a partner-in-crime; writing about it later, after the smoke has cleared, would be bonus. ;)

Whew! With all that said, let me leave you with this, admittedly, tangential recommendation: if you ever come across the 2006 Sauvignon Blanc from Kawarau Estate (New Zealand), drink up! It is, for sure, one of the most delicious white wines I've had in recent memory. And who wants to say no to that?

2 comments:

Mazzurco said...

lame-o, listen, make the Oregon Brewer's festival this summer, it's awesome, and i might consider coming out there with you....if you're lucky

Eric said...

Yo, I'd be down, so let's get on the horn and make it happen. The Festival is July 24th - 27th this year. And maybe volunteering is in order?