Thursday, December 13, 2007

A musical three return

It was exactly one month ago that I dropped a few musical recommendations in a blog posting for folks to check out, and as coincidence would have it, three of them have appeared back in my life this week.

1. Two days ago I found out that The Cool Kids are headlining their own tour; it seems they have blown up after opening for MIA earlier this year. In fact, I even saw them recently in a commercial while watching an America's Next Top Model marathon (what?). Yeah, so I bought me some tickets to their January 17th show at the Independent.. and, per usual, have an extra. It's going to be a b-boy fest - not my usual element - but should be a great show, and within stumbling distance to my apartment. ;)

2. Next, I get wind of a new music video from those raunch-festers known as Spank Rock - for their single "Loose". In fact, I posted about it last night, maybe offending the three of you that read this thing. haha. Oh man, and I'm not exactly sure what the lyrics are or how exactly the simulated sex fits in, but, damn, that video is a wonder to behold in terms of not-giving-a-fuckness. I guess with Internet distribution, they really don't have to answer to anybody with respect to their, umm, artistic vision (although it seems the video is down as of today??).

3. In any case, tonight I got a major tip from a friend to revisit Sam Sparro's myspace page because he posted a mixtape called "Songs Not Bombs". Sounds like a sentiment I can get behind.. and wooo-whee, it's full of some delicious dancefloor jams, everything from 80's R&B to '07 bangers, one moving smoothly into the other.. and back. I've actually been downloading quite a few mixtapes lately - mostly with heads-up from the Disco Belle blog and a few other random places on the web - and this is my favorite of the past couple of weeks. I just wish they posted a track list!

So, I guess it's just a matter of time because I cross paths with DiskoError and DJ Aristocat; what's up with you guys?

On a note related to #3 above, 11 minutes into the "Songs Not Bombs" mix, a snippet of Snoop Dogg's new single, "Sensual Seduction", rolls up in your business. Have you seen the video? I *mostly* like it.. in fact, it might even be mindblowing for taking (what I'm guessing to be) some stellar 70's vibe - and production values - and tweaking them to a ridiculous level.. I mean, totally fetishizing the original scene. And I can appreciate that. BUT.. what I can't get over is that it's Snoop Dogg in the goddamn video. I mean he's done great for himself, and good for him and all that, but I just can't take him seriously anymore; I don't even really like his voice. And that's all I'll say about that. haha. Check it out for yourself.

No comments: