Friday, December 7, 2007

One the bike, more variables = less control

Most bicycles are made for a single rider. And given the fragility of personal balance - on the bike, I mean - I fully appreciate this fact. More parts on a bike means more that can break; and if one of those "parts" is another person, well, then your variables of control just went up exponentially.

more variables = less control


But, on occasion - on the right occasion - I'll submit myself to the whims of the night and ride in just this way: 2 people, 1 bike. While I'm still not a huge fan of the tandem bicycle, riding a regular bike with another person is kinda charming for me, (if, admittedly, a little uncomfortable). haha.

You see, there is a prerequisite for silliness to even try this feat, given the aforementioned stability problems inherent in the operation. And you can do it in a couple of ways, depending on how your bike is set up (ex. if you have a rack) as well as how the bodies of the two people line up. My usual mode is to have someone sit on my bike seat while I stand and pedal (and, if I'm lucky - or forceful, maybe get a little of my tailbone on the nose of the seat).

Yeah, it's hard work.. and I don't want to be riding for miles and miles like that, but, still, there is something about the arrangement that seems so simple and pure in attitude (and, therefore, appealing); again, it must be the silliness thing. All that said, it's still not gonna happen *too* often, given that when I'm hanging with someone else and I'm on a bike, the other person usually has a bike too.

Well, that is, unless I get some sweet pegs for my citybike. Who doesn't want to ride on some pegs?

No comments: