Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Art with bicoastal connections

For all my yap-yap about exhibit-this and postmodern-that, I am totally, and completely, not part of any sort of "art scene" here in San Francisco (or anywhere, for that matter - haha). That said, I do have more than just a superficial interest in and appreciation for artistic endeavors of many stripes; in fact, I've written a few blog posts on the subject (labeled with "art").

But recently, it occurred to me that I've been focusing almost exclusively on big names showing at established museums or galleries, folks like Anselm Kiefer and Jeff Koons, and places like SFMOMA and the Met, respectively. And that's all well and good, for sure; I'll continue to indulge in those cultural touchstones of the craft because, well, number one: they are pleasing on a pure aesthetic level, and two: their wide recognition means they are part of a shared public consciousness that I'd like to be able to recall and submit at cocktail parties (and have someone else know what I'm talking about). haha.

Ok, ok..

Still, as I've implied, it's crossed my mind that I "need" to hit up smaller galleries, especially local ones.. to simply show up and take my chances on lesser-known artists, to meet some interesting folks with some of these similar interests (and, therefore, by necessity, to get over any hesitance about not fitting into a scene). On a side note, I find it funny that I'm much more comfortable showing up at, say, a NYC gallery opening than a San Francisco one (and I've been to many more in the former than in the latter) because, I think, that the NYC scene is so far from my normal reality that the whole endeavor becomes, almost, a slightly-abstracted performance, one where I've let go of any presumptions about who am I or who I need to be in that particular time and place; yeah, I think when I'm traveling, in general, I've got a "vacation mentality" going on. And que serĂ¡ serĂ¡! haha.

But I digress..

This weekend, it seems, is a great time to get into "art" in San Francisco. You see, you'll have an opportunity on both Friday *and* Saturday to attend opening receptions for fresh new work at two different, and well-known, Mission district galleries, Ratio 3 and Jack Hanley. (Relating back to some of my comments above, both of these galleries have strong ties to NYC, so maybe such a bi-coastal relationship will put me at ease.. haha.)

First up, the Ratio 3 gallery is hosting Ryan McGinley's first "West Coast debut solo exhibition":

Ryan McGinley: Spring and By Summer Fall
May 9 - July 21, 2008
Opening: Friday May 9 (6–8pm)


From looking at some of his photography from the show online, they seem to be from the same stock as those featured in his last solo show, "I Know Where the Summer Goes", which just closed at Team Gallery in NYC. And I think this is a good thing.. Mr. McGinley's photography is well received (he's had many a'solo the world over, including being the youngest to show at The Whitney); there is a simple and nostalgic vibrancy to his work. I'm definitely going to this one.. although it should be noted that I can't imagine this being anything but a mobscene, given the artist involved and the fact that word is out. Part of the fun, I suppose. ;)

And if you haven't got your fill of the visual and the visceral yet, the Jack Hanley gallery is hosting an opening reception for New Zealand artist Saskia Leek on the very next night:

Saskia Leek: Thick Air Method
May 10 - 31, 2008
Opening: Saturday May 10 (6-9pm)


I, admittedly, know less about Ms. Leek and her pastel, angular paintings, but from what I've seen recently, I think it will be worth it to check out live. Regardless, Jack Hanley is known for its well-curated shows, so you can show up based on the gallery's reputation alone.. most people do just that. And if you're lucky, they'll have some free beer. ;)

In any case, I'll be out of town Saturday, so I'll miss this second bit of fun; but if any of you do check it out, let me know. (And if you'd like to see the McGinley show Friday night, let me know and we can coordinate.) Until then!

~~~~~~~~~

Aah.. in the meantime, I can't resist saying one thing about a biggie: Mr. Koons currently has three of his bombastic sculptures up on the roof of the Met, showing through October 26, 2008. Whether you find his work charming or juvenile (or charmingly juvenile), the Met's rooftop garden should be a nice place to have a martini on a warm summer night in the city; the Met's martini bar is open 5:30–8:00pm on Fridays and Saturdays. Word.

No comments: