Saturday, May 10, 2008

Falke's Golden Cage getting right to the beats

Looks like I won't be the first one - as (personally) planned - to include the Fred Falke remix of Golden Cage (by The Whitest Boy Alive) on a blog-posted, so-so-fresh mixtape of dancey music. But was the ambition *really* there to make that happen (given that I've been majorly distracted lately by the call of my road bike and the climbing gym)?; probably not. ;)

In any case, it *was* just a matter of time before Golden Cage started showing up in mixes, live or otherwise, because it's one of the best songs of the year; in fact, I can say that it's *my* favorite right now (continuing the sentiment first expressed 2 months ago)! Actually, I heard it playing at the Cut Copy + Simian Mobile Disco show at Mezzanine a few weeks back - so awesome, by the way - and I remember telling my concert cohorts oh-my-god-I-love-this-song-I'm-totally-putting-it-into-my-next-Hotwell-mix (as if I was some sort of actual DJ, and they really cared for my "creative output"). haha. Yeah, that was totally the drinks talking.. although I really *do* have one of my little mix CDs planned for realization in the not-too-distant future. ;)

In any case, I downloaded Stockholm Syndrome's contribution to Disco Belle's Mixin' It Up series late Friday night while doing some massive catch-up on the music blogs, and just got to listenin' to it today. And beyond Golden Cage, it's pretty badass in general (in a subdued disco-y and house-y sort of way), with nods to both polyester classics and French butt-movers. The Stockholm Syndrome Remix of New Song (by Howard Jones) is another standout (which I'm hearing now for the first time - a good find!).

Check the tracklist:

01. D-Train - Music
02. Jermaine Jackson – Come To Me
03. Chic – I Want Your Love (Todd Terje Edit)
04. Daft Punk – Face To Face
05. The Believers - Who Dares To Believe In Me?
06. Seven Grand Housing Authority – The Question
07. Howard Jones – New Song (Stockholm Syndrome Remix)
08. The Whitest Boy Alive – Golden Cage (Fred Falke Remix)
09. Chromeo – Needy Girl (Lifelike Remix)
10. Coach House Rhythm Section – Timewarp
11. Fragment̩ РI See You
12. Metropolis – Metropolis
13. Stockholm Syndrome - Quadrophonia
14. RAW - Asuca
15. Stockholm Syndrome – Make You Whole (Stockholm Syndrome Dub)
16. Armand Van Helden – I Want Your Soul (Fake Blood Remix)
17. Lil’ Mo Yin Yang – Reach
18. Kraak & Smaak – Squeeze Me
19. The System – You’re In My System
20. The Black Ghosts – Let’s Get Physical
21. Black Kids - Dance With You (The Twelves Remix)
22. Boys Noize – Oh! (A-Trak Remix)
23. Stockholm Syndrome - DJ’s Take Control
24. Estelle feat. Kanye West – American Boy (Stockholm Syndrome Dub)
25. The Black Ghosts – Any Way (Fake Blood Remix)


They certainly did some diggin' through their crates to put this one together! And if you're interested in downloading it, head on over to the original Disco Belle post; there, you'll also find commentary from the guys of Stockholm Syndrome on how/why each track came to be (in this mix). Interesting background, for sure, but I'd just say to quickly peruse the text and get right to the beats..

No comments: