Friday, May 30, 2008

It's a strange world, isn't it?

After a long Memorial Day weekend of being sporty during the day (with the wounds to prove it), and a homebody at night (every night), I'm left wondering, "I don't know if you're a detective or a pervert."

In any case (who am I to judge?), I finally had my first proper introduction to the distinctive (and, in some circles, revered) works of director David Lynch. You see, on a quiet Sunday night, a reel of Blue Velvet was unfurled before me (um, via Comcast On-Demand); and I figured a viewing of this cult classic was long overdue. My quiet nights of odd Lynchian design continued Monday, when characters, Wild at Heart, blazed a cross-country trail in a single-minded groove filled with deeply-connected sex and dusty violence. Ah yes, I was reminded that my livingroom couch is no convertible.

Regardless, even from my stationary position, I could view and evaluate these culturally foreign times and places, full of individuals that know nothing but wicked interaction. Scene after scene, Mr. Lynch crafted a violent - in every sense of the word - world of mystery and noir, exposing a bit of the unglamorous (and, further, seedy) underside in even the most mundane of American towns; with respect to the big city, don't even get him started. And you know what?; even as I'm not offended by the occasional graphic nature of the films, his subjects and methods weren't for me.

I mean, I can theoretically appreciate the place of these movies in the pantheon of great films, as they provided example for innovative storytelling technique and helped to break down barriers (with respect to what can/should be considered "appropriate" content in mainstream movies). But in terms of overall enjoyment (via either the viscerals of the characters/stories themselves, or via a more academic analysis of film technique), I just couldn't get into either one.

That said, I put "Inland Empire" on my SF library request list, so I haven't given up just yet; I, at least, want to be able to have a set of reference points when people start talking about Polish-prostitute-this and bugs-under-the-perfectly-manicured-lawn-that. In the meantime, maybe I'll read a few reviews in order to equip me with some analysis/insight from folks more learned than me in the ways of movie-making; my impression is that some of the passion for David Lynch is in an appreciation for his attention to details. "It's a strange world, isn't it?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In semi-related news, I've talked about the free movie nights at The Independent before, so let me just say that they-be-back the first two weeks of June:

June 2nd: Rambo
June 9th: Semi-Pro

While I won't be in San Francisco for either of those dates, I think if you had any inclination to see either of these live-action cartoons, The Independent - and, more specifically, watching them while drinking at The Independent - is your best bet for smoothing over any qualms you may have with dumb-ass things like plausible plot or cogent dialog; the drunken group mentality really works for this sort of thing.

Whoa.. I hope that last paragraph doesn't come off as me being uptight. I've had my share of Mad Dog movie nights - as some of my friends would call the smuggling-in of MD20/20 into the movie theater to aid in our viewing of a film with questionable artistic value - over the years; for sure, there is a time and a place for everything. haha.

No comments: