Saturday, November 10, 2007

Each decade contains a range of possibility

I can't remember how this popped into my head earlier tonight, but maybe it was playing at the supermarket (buying some last-minute ingredients for a tasty desert - more on that later). No matter; indulge is this 80's awesomeness:

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (video)

Apparently, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" was recorded as a single for the movie Mannequin, which explains why the video is, basically, clips from the movie and reenactments of scenes from the movie by the band.

I have the distinct impression that I saw Mannequin back when I was in middle school (late-80's), but I don't really remember the details of the movie. And I certainly don't remember that Kim Cattrall (of Sex in the City fame) was the movie's namesake: an Egyptian princess "reincarnated" as a mannequin; or that Captain Harris (well, the actor G.W. Bailey) also participates in these shenanigans. I *almost* want to go and see it again. Almost.

In any case, unless you're a fan of Mannequin (and, according to Rotten Tomatoes, not many of you are), the video pretty much stands on the awesomeness of "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us" itself (i.e. not really with the video production). And even though it was created at the advent of the age of the music video (so we can give it some artistic leeway), that's not to say you couldn't make a kickass one. To this point, I submit Exhibit A:

A-Ha - Take On Me (video)

Really! Cool! While it may come across *a little* low-tech on the surface, it actually seems completely modern to me. In fact, I've seen several music videos lately that have a similar aesthetic:

1. The Black Ghosts - Some Way Through This (video)
2. Chromeo - Bonafide Lovin' (video)
3. Best Fwends - Dream Off (video)
4. Justice - D.A.N.C.E. (video)

See? What goes around, comes around. At least check out #1 and #4, the best of the lot.

No comments: